By: Cynthia Paola Bautista
Going back to school after what seemed to be a not long enough summer vacation and trading your fun, lazy days for early morning classes and homework can be gloomy yet exciting. It means new friends, new teachers, new classroom, and, most importantly, new wardrobe, which is probably what excites you the most. However, shopping for school clothes can be a bit stressful when you are on a quest to find good deals to be able to buy more and have an array of different outfits to wear every day. But relax! it doesn’t have to be so overwhelming and you don’t have to spend tons of money to look fabulous the first day of school, let alone all year.
You should always keep in mind that having more doesn’t necessarily help you achieve an amazing look, and here I’m going to show you couple of must-have items that will help you look trendy all year round.
For the girls:
1) A good pair of jeans. Look for a comfortable jean depending on your style. It can be a skinny jean, cropped jean, the high waisted or wide legged jeans, which are a major trend making its way back from the 70’s. One of my favorite stores to shop for jeans is American Eagle. They have a pretty vast variety of styles, washes, and fits.
2) Graphic tees. These are a convenient addition to your closet. So, if you stocked up on graphic tees this summer you’re all set because this trend is certainly here to stay and you will definitely make a statement with the bold artwork and witty quotes. Plus they are super comfortable and easy to mix and macth. Layer them up with a jacket for an edgier look.
3) Sweaters, cardigans and jackets. I know, I know we live in Florida and it’s hot all year, but there are a bunch of oversized sweaters, the off shoulder are my faves, long cardigans, cropped and jean jackets that are not necessarily for cold weather, but that will help you cope with the freezing temperatures in the classroom and will add a perfect touch to your look, when you are outdoors.
4) Footwear. It is imperative you have comfortable shoes for you will be going upstairs and walking long distances to get to your classrooms. Nowadays gals are breaking the rules by wearing sneakers with dresses and skirts. The legendary combat boots- which go with everything- the ballerina flats, TOMS, and high-top sneakers are super comfy and fashionable.
5) Prints. Animal print, floral print and funky patterns are so in this season. Whether it’s a blouse, a skirt, pants, scarf or even a headband, always make sure to have a funky print item in your closet.
6) Oversized bags. Backpacks who? Oversized totes are a huge trend now for those busy girls who are always on the run and need to keep everything in one place. They’re just as good at holding your books, but look more sleek and chic.
For the guys:
4) Footwear. Guys love comfortable shoes, therefore, active wear is a must-have in their closet. They know hauling across campus is not easy, and that is why they prefer comfy, but stylish sneakers. For a sporty look Nike, Adidas and New Balance are faves among the boys. For a more casual look, a comfy pair of slip-on sneakers will do the work.
6) Messenger bag. Tired of the basic backpacks? The messenger bag is a sleek fashionable alternative to the backpack. A black messenger bag matches everything and it never goes out of style. Not to mention it’s perfect for your books and laptop.