By: Cynthia Paola Bautista
The Back-to-School shopping season has arrived, and parents are closely watching every dollar spent buying their children’s uniforms and school supplies; especially those who have more than one child. Starting today, local families will have the opportunity to save money on certain things. Not only will the tax-free holiday help, but also some department stores such as Target, JC Penny, Walt-Mart and K-Mart will be offering extra discounts and deals for customers to save even more. That sounds like #winning.
For those who don’t know, on July 1st the Florida Senate passed the House Bill 33, which states the extension of the back-to-school holiday from three days to 10 days. For all Florida residents tax-free week is now from August 7th through August 16th, 2015. Therefore, calm down with the unnecessary worrying and just plan ahead; after all, you have a whole ten days to make sure you purchase everything you need before the big day!
Here is some helpful info you might want to look over before you go.
According to myflorida.com, during this holiday period, Florida law dictates that no sales tax or local option tax will be collected on purchases of:
• Clothing, footwear, and certain accessories selling for $100 or less per item.
• Certain school supplies selling for $15 or less per item.
• Personal computers and certain computer-related accessories on the first $750 of the sales price when purchased for noncommercial home or personal use.
• Any item of clothing selling for more than $100
• Any school supply item selling for more than $15
• Books that are not otherwise exempt.
• Rentals or leases of any of these items
• Sales of clothing, school supplies, or computers and computer-related accessories in a theme park, entertainment complex, public lodging establishment, or airport.
For more information, please visit http://dor.myflorida.com/