April 22nd might seem like another day that comes and goes for many, but since 1970, this specific day has been dedicated to our planet. Events and celebrations are held worldwide to demonstrate support and appreciation for Mother Earth.
World leaders, organizations, and passionate citizens come together to encourage future generations to support environmental protection and to become aware of the environmental issues the world faces.
This important day honoring our blue planet, isn’t just celebrated and promoted, actual policies and treaties have been ratified on Earth Day in support of environmental protection. Last year, the historic Paris Agreement was signed by 194 countries including China, US, and the UK. The agreement set a global action plan to prevent dangerous climate change, bridging climate neutrality and today’s policies.
In South Florida, Zoo Miami will be hosting their annual Party for the Planet celebration, having conservation-themed activities as well as interactive lessons on the preservation of ecosystems. Zoo Miami will also be giving free entrance to those donating cellphones on April 22nd-23rd. Cellphones have coltan, a mineral that is extracted from the deep forests of Congo, which is the home of various species, including the endangered lowland gorillas.
Miami Seaquarium will also be hosting a reef sanctioned lionfish derby as well as a community picnic from 2pm to 6pm. Lionfish derbies help cull the population of the fish in South Florida, which are causing out native species to lose their resources and food.
If you aren’t able to celebrate Earth Day in one of these locations, you can still make an impact on our precious planet by being aware of environmental issues and doing simple things.
Here are some easy ways you can help our planet:
- Plant a tree on Earth Day: A single tree is able to generate about $31,250 worth of oxygen as well as $37,500 worth of water. By planting a tree once a year, you are giving animals a place to live as well as your lungs some nice fresh air.
- Slow the flow: A drop of water from a hot water source wastes water and fossil fuels, creating more greenhouse gasses. Taking shorter showers as well fixing a faucet leak can make a big difference.
- Recycle: Recycling is one of the easiest ways to help our planet and make a difference. Saving energy and reducing waste in landfills are major benefits from recycling.
- Reuse: Over 1 trillion plastic bags are used and then thrown away every year. By going to the grocery store and using one big reusable bag or a cart, you can help this number go down and start helping our environment. Reusing coffee cups and plastic bottles can also help make an impact.
- Be a vegetarian for a day: The excessive demand for meat creates a huge strain on the environment. In fact, raising animals for food produces more greenhouse gases than cars and airplanes combined. This Earth Day, try out delicious vegetarian recipes and help the planet we love!
- Exercise outside: Instead of staying indoors and wasting electricity, spend your day offering gratitude to our earth by practicing yoga, going for a jog, or meditating outside.
While these ideas may seem small and insignificant, they can really help maintain Earth healthy. With these suggestions you can make any day feel like Earth Day, so go and celebrate our planet!
By Laura Romero