Art Week is upon us, and just like every year, it promises to be one for the books. While most of us would love to join in on the fun, pricey tickets to most of these events can be a deterrent. But there is no reason to stay home even if your pockets are empty. Here’s a list of Art Week events, exhibitions, and parties that are completely FREE!
- Institute of Contemporary Art: Located in the heart of Miami’s Design District, the privately-run institute will finally open its doors to the public during Art Week. Miami’s newest art museum will exhibit works by world-renowned artists like Picasso, Andy Warhol, and Yves Klein. Entrance to the museum is completely free and will remain free even after Art Week is over.
- Fair.: Staged at Brickell City Centre, Fair. is an alternative non-commercial art fair that showcases creative works by dozens of female artists with strong feminist viewpoints—something enormously relevant given recent current events. The fair will feature billboards, posters, video, and apparel; all focusing on gender inequality, commerce, labor, and fair wage. Notable artists include Guerilla Girls, Yoko Ono, and Miami’s own Natalie Alfonso. The fair will run through Sunday, December 10 from 11:00 am to 7:00 pm. For more information, visit www.fairmarket.art.
- Street art: If street art is more of your thing, you’re in luck! Wynwood Walls has commissioned a dozen new murals during Art Week and you can witness the action first hand. While participating artists work on their murals, spectators will be able to watch these artists in action. Meanwhile, on Miami Beach, the Sagamore Hotel will host a variety of works by Banksy, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Cranio, Shepard Fairey and Keith Haring.
- Electric Avenue (12/8) Join Afrobeta at The Wynwood Yard and break it down to some of Miami’ best electric beats. In addition to the local duo, artists such as Millionyoung, Eons, and DJ Lolo will also hit the stage, making this the perfect party to kick off your Art Basel weekend. Friday, To RSVP, click here.
- You Had to Be There (12/ 8) Imagine a party where nobody has their phones out and everyone was just talking, dancing, and having a blast. This party, presented by Adidas Originals, is just that. Upon entrance, guests will be asked to place their phones in a special pouch that can only be unlocked by stepping outside the phone-free party. Forget sharing this on Snapchat or Instagram, and if your friends ask about it, just let them know, You Had To Be There. Admission is free with RSVP at eventbrite.com.
- Locos Por Hippies (12/ 9) If you’re looking for more mellow vibes, then this is your kind of party. Artists include Electric Kif, Yellow Shoots, Magic City Hippies, and Locos Por Juana. The free party will also have many delicious food pop-ups and a variety of local drinks. Admission is free with RSVP at eventbrite.com.
by Alonso Montano